We are partnering with a Korean Studio, developers of one of the biggest shooter franchises of all time, to find a top-notch World Design Director.
The studio’s goal is a combination of best-in-class combat and exploration spaces to create a living world of possibility that will deeply immerse players.
We are looking for someone with:
- A drive and passion for creating meaningful and inspiring areas that players will want to explore
- Excellent knowledge of the competition and the methods they use to create open-world play spaces
- Good respect for combat spaces and the metrics used in their construction enables dynamic and compelling battle spaces
- The ability to operate both at a high world level but also at the low encounter-based level
- High-level awareness of environmental storytelling and knowing how to enrich the locations with this
What the role involves:
Working hand in hand with the art and design departments this is an opportunity to get in on the ground floor and build your own team on a project where the world is a central part.
- Working with the Creative Director to define, own and champion the project living world pillars and vision.
- Drive the development and creation of high-quality AAA environments
- Be the representative for world design to all other parties.
- Work alongside the combat, AI, and narrative leads to the design and implement gameplay-enabling playspaces.
- Work alongside Artistic Direction to design a believable and coherent world.
- Balance artistic aspects with technical constraints to align all technical, design, graphic, and narrative features.
- Build up a world-class world and level design team by helping to interview and hire level designers.
- Be the mentor, guide, and leader of your team of handpicked designer
- Provide meaningful feedback to the world design team during a play session
- Create and maintain a prospering level design culture within the world design team.
- Help drive the development of standard-setting world design tools and workflow.
- Ensuring a productive internal workflow and beneficial relationships with external partners.
- Working with other teams to develop immersion-enhancing features such as weather and night/day systems
- Excellent track record – credited on at least 2 shipped games either as Lead level/world director, lead/ senior-level/world designer
- Working knowledge of at least one of the major 3D modelling packages and being able to get hands-on to create environments
- Strong level design skills – capable of defining level metrics and consistently applying them
- Good understanding of what works and doesn’t in leading open-world games – especially how combat spaces and terrain narrative intersect
- Strong communication skills – with the ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple teams
- Ability to lead by example and delegate as required
Good to have:
- Experience with procedural methods of content creation.
This position is based in Barcelona; full relocation package is provided.